Sunday, August 31, 2008

Harley and Iron Horse Hotel tied to $10 Garage Sale Find





Who'da thunk??? So I go to this garage sale and find this old dresser/mirror combo painted the most awful color of pastel green. I thought to myself that this is SOOO ugly it has to be beautiful underneath. So, for a whopping $10 I bought it. I would never have believed, that after stripping 10 coats of paint, at times using a toothbrush for the detail work, that I would find my most prized antique to date. I was so excited once I got the first glimpse of the wood that I worked day and night to complete my treasure. One day I happened to pay attention to the back and I noticed something peculiar. A tag that said Berger Bedding Company, Wholesale Furniture and Bedding, Milwaukee Wis. A clue to the history. I hopped on the internet to check it out. I was amazed to find that the Berger Bedding Company building had become the new Iron Horse Hotel which is close to the new Harley-Davidson Museum. To quote the hotel's website, the Iron Horse is unique for "Meeting the needs of business travelers and motorcycle enthusiasts alike forced design creativity. Many of the concepts arose from focus groups of “road warriors” of both the briefcase and biker persuasions, such as rugged wood floors that are welcoming to both high heels and riding boots, and chic yet durable furniture, able to withstand heavy zippers and buckles yet cool and refined for business attire." The hotel looks absolutely "right up my alley", beautiful and unique, a blend of the past, the present and the future. I am so proud to hold the dresser and mirror in my posession, and to have beautifully transformed, such an incredible piece of Wisconsin and Milwaukee history for the Algoma's Belle Isle Inn in Northeast Wisconsin. The historic prize is located in the King's Chamber. This room boasts a flat screen TV and DVD for a romantic evening watching movies in bed. The thick feather topped king bed beckons your tired body after a long hike on the Ahnapee trail or Lake Michigan boardwalk. And, of course, the beautiful antique dresser and mirror, built at Milwaukee’s Berger Bedding Company , most likely between 1886 and 1907. To see this and other beautiful pieces, visit us at the Belle Isle Inn, your Home away from Home! Our Bed and Breakfast gives you so much more than any area hotel, including the memories of feeling just like family.

No comments: